Serenity Circle - August 2019
Writing this month's serenity post, I am keenly aware of how close we are to the start of a new season. With autumn just around the corner, I'm already beginning to anticipate the simple joys this time of the year affords. Some of the things I look forward to include:
- Watching fall leaves swirling in the wind. There's a thick canopy of trees not far from our house and it's amazing to witness this spectacle unfold when the weather turns windy. Quite often the wind blows leaves past the windows and drops them into the garden before teasing them high up into the sky and out across the open fields - mesmerising!
"Autumn is the season
to find contentment at home
by paying attention to what
we already have."
we already have."
-- theinspiredroom.net --
- Homemade soup served with warm crusty bread - especially enjoyable after a long walk in the colder weather. I make a point of trying a couple of new soup recipes every year, as well as repeating old ones. My favourite last year was Sweet Potato and Butternut Quash.
- P & P! Hubby and myself enjoy driving out into the countryside and looking for a gorgeous spot to park and picnic. I'll pack the picnic basket with all sorts of autumnal goodies to enjoy, e.g. homemade pumpkin soup, spicy bean wraps, a selection of nuts and berries. Autumn picnics are a really fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
- We have a new rocking bench in the back garden and I'm really looking forward to sitting outside in the evenings toasting marshmallows on the fire pit and drinking hot chocolate under star-lit skies - heavenly!
- Listening to logs crackling in the log burner and watching the flames leaping up the chimney. I love the warm and cosy atmosphere a log burner creates in the home.
- Getting crafty! Check out this link on Pinterest for all sorts of autumnal crafts. I love the pumpkin table centres and may give this a go this year.
- Changing into PJ's and soft fleecy socks after a hot shower in the evening and afterwards curling up on the sofa watching a good movie - bliss!
- Snuggling up under a warm duvet with a good book. I tend to purchase e-books throughout the year and download and store them on Kindle. This gives me something to look forward to on quieter evenings.
- Lying in bed gazing up at the stars. We're very fortunate where we live because there's very little light pollution resulting in a clear view of the sky at night. Sometimes we're privileged to witness the Milky Way, a shooting star/s and even the aurora on special occasions.
- Listening to the owl hooting gently in the woods nearby before falling asleep all cosied up under the duvet cover.
These are just some of the things I associate with autumn, and the best of it is, none of these things are expensive proving you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy a little serenity and pampering. Roll on autumn.... I'm ready for it, especially after a long and sometimes blistering hot summer. I enjoy summertime, but I'm most definitely an autumn kind of girl at heart. How about you - what's your favourite time of the year and why?